The Building and Safety division is responsible for three programs:
Building Inspection & Code Enforcement
- Provides inspection and code enforcement resources to the public
- Performs building inspections each year for compliance with approved plans, design review details, and conditions
- Performs investigations and follow-up investigations in response to citizen and other-agency complaints regarding substandard and/or dangerous structures
- Responds to natural and man-made disasters by providing technical assistance in estimating the safety of damaged structures and real property
Records, Archives & Clerical Services
- Provides reception services to the Community Development, Public Works, Pro-Youth Coalition, Redevelopment Agencies and Fire Plan Check
- Provides cashiering services to the public for all Land Development transactions
- Coordinates and provides for the imaging, storage, archival, and review of all Land Development documents
- Provides clerical support for Building and Safety administration
Building Counter & Plan Review
- Reviews engineering and architectural plans for compliance with State laws and ordinances, health and safety codes
- Reviews, prepares, and issues building permits
- Prepares and maintains educational materials for public and staff use in both hard copy and electronic formats
- Manages and maintains the permitting process and permit tracking software
- Provides guidance for the public and staff for all types of building related issues
Building & Safety Handouts online that are available at our 630 Garden Street office.
View Building & Safety staff contact information.
The Property Records database gives users the ability to view public records that are normally available at the Records Public Counter in our 630 Garden Street facility in Santa Barbara, CA.
Building & Safety questions can also be directed via email at email@example.com