In 1929, a committee was formed by the Chamber of Commerce to choose a site for a permanent commercial airport. After considerable study, the present Goleta site was chosen. As a result of lobbying in Washington, the federal government helped Santa Barbara's dream of an airport to materialize. In February 1941 the local electorate approved a $149,000 bond issue for the purchase of the land with construction beginning soon thereafter. It was at this time that an Airport Commission was formed.
Construction accelerated during World War II when the United States Navy leased the airport for use as a Marine Corps Air Station. Considered surplus after the war, the airport was transferred back to the City in 1947, which annexed the property in 1962.
Learn more about serving on this advisory group.View Our Video
Advises City Council regarding the following
|Length of Term||Four years and until successors are appointed and qualified. Staggered terms expire on December 31 of the appropriate year.|
|Meeting Schedule||The Commission meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Airport Administration Conference Room, 601 Firestone Road.|
|Time Involved||Approximately 3 - 4 hours per month for meetings and related activities. Time commitment may vary depending on voluntary participation on subcommittees.|
|Financial Disclosure Requirement||Members are required to file a Statement of Economic Interests upon appointment, annually and when leaving the advisory group.|
|Staff||Airport Department, (805) 692-6002.|
|Reference||City Charter Sections 800-805, and 812; Municipal CodeSection 2.08.020.A; Chapter 18.44; Ordinance Nos. 3992, 3904, 3860, and 3726; Resolution Nos. 95-158, and 87-001|