Where Can I Find Acceptable Bags?
Please refer to Los Angeles County’s website for "About the Bag" for detailed information on reusable bag manufacturers in compliance with the ordinance and appropriate testing laboratories.
The companies and the information presented are subject to change without notice. The companies listed are note endorsed or recommended by the City of Santa Barbara, nor is the list necessarily inclusive of all bag vendors or testing laboratories.
What is the definition of a reusable bag?
A bag with handles that is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuse and meets all of the following requirements:
- has a minimum lifetime of 125 uses, which means the capability of carrying a minimum of 22 pounds 125 times over a distance of at least 175 feet;
- has a minimum volume of 15 liters;
- is machine washable or is made from a material that can be cleaned or disinfected;
- does not contain lead, cadmium, or any other heavy metal in toxic amounts;
- has printed on the bag, or on a tag that is permanently affixed to the bag, the name of the manufacturer, the location (country) where the bag was manufactured, a statement that the bag does not contain lead, cadmium, or any other heavy metal in toxic amounts, and the percentage of postconsumer recycled material used, if any; and
- if made of plastic, is a minimum of at least 2.25 mils thick.
What is the definition of a recyclable paper carryout bag?
Paper bags must meet all of the following requirements:
- contains no old growth fiber;
- is one hundred percent (100%) recyclable overall and contains a minimum of forty percent (40%) post-consumer recycled material;
- is capable of composting, consistent with the timeline and specifications of the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standard D6400
- is accepted for recycling in curbside programs in the City;
- has printed on the bag the name of the manufacturer, the location (country) where the bag was manufactured, and the percentage of postconsumer recycled material used; and
- displays the word “Recyclable” in a highly visible manner on the outside of the bag.