Trash is anything that cannot be placed in the blue recycling, green greenwaste, or yellow foodscraps bins, and which also cannot be given away.
For households, our goal is less than 50% trash, and for most businesses, even less than that.
Container Sizes & Frequencies
Trash containers are available in the following sizes:
- Cans: 32 gal
- Carts (with wheels): 35 gal, 65 gal, 95 gal
- Dumpsters: 1.5, 2, 3, 4 cubic yards
for single family residences, your trash will be collected once a week. For businesses and mult-unit complexes, you have a choice of service up to 7 days per week (for additional cost)
Acceptable in Trash
- Cat litter or animal feces
- Ceramic dishware or glassware
- Clothing linens and rags
- Cigarette Butts (extinguished - run under water prior to disposal)
- Cooking oil and grease
Oil and grease should not be poured down the drain because they will clog the plumbing. Businesses are responsible for their oil to be disposed of separately.
- Crosscut shredded paper
If your shredded paper is not crosscut it can be recycled. If you are a participant in the foodscraps program you can put crosscut paper in the yellow bin.
- Dental Floss
- Dirt, rocks or stone. Reuse, if possible.
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Foil-backed or plastic-backed paper
- Glass mirrors and windows
- Incandescent light bulbs
While Incandescent light bulbs can be thrown in the brown bin, fluorescent and HID bulbs cannot. These light bulbs carry mercury so they must be disposed of as hazardous waste.
- Large items (furniture, metal, plastic, wood)
These are acceptable but there are better uses available.
- Mylar (shiny metal) bags (potato chips, candy bars, balloons, etc)
- Pens and pencils
Remember there are many reusable options available.
- Plastic items mixed with metal, fabric or rubber
Materials that are mixed cannot be recycled.
- Plastic labeled "Biodegradable" only
- Rubber bands
- Six-pack ring holder - please cut up
- Sticky paper, stickers
We are currently unable to recycle styrofoam at this time. You might see a recycling symbol on it, but since it is made up of so much air there is currently not a viable market for this material.
- Twist Ties
- Untreated wood
- X-Ray Film