None scheduled at this time.
Accessory Dwelling Units Workshop: Learn What's New With ADUs
Jan 13, 2021 4:00 PM PST
This workshop summarized the main amendments to the City’s ADU ordinance and provided information about applying for a permit and removing the owner occupancy provision from existing covenants, and was followed by a Q&A with Planning and Building & Safety staff. A video of the workshop can be viewed here.
The amendments to the City’s ADU ordinance were adopted by City Council in November 2020 after a recommendation for adoption by the City Council Ordinance Committee and Planning Commission. In addition to amending the ordinance for compliance with State law, the City Council adopted the following changes:
- Allow removal of existing recorded owner occupancy requirement in the Residential Single Unit (RS) zone from the covenant at the property owners request (except for Junior ADUs, which are required to include owner occupancy by State law);
- Suspend the owner occupancy requirement in the Residential Single Unit (RS) zone until January 1, 2025;
- Prohibit Standard ADUs in the Foothill and Extreme Foothill High Fire Hazard Areas (Special ADUs and Junior ADUs are allowed, as described in the ordinance);
- Continue to require neighborhood notification via a posted sign but revise the text to clarify the ministerial review process; and
- In concept, consider future ordinance amendments to allow non-residential space in mixed-use buildings to convert to ADUs with further study.
2020 ADU Ordinance Amendments
City Council Ordinance Adoption
Tuesday November 10, 2020
If adopted on November 10, it will be effective on December 10, 2020.
City Council Ordinance Introduction
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
Click here to view Public Comments from the August 6 and September 3, 2020 Planning Commission hearings.
Thursday, September 3rd, 2020
Thursday, August 6, 2020