New Building Permit Application and Instructional Video
On October 10th, the City of Santa Barbara’s Building & Safety Division launched a new building permit application. Now, submittal of a single, consolidated Building Permit Application is needed for all projects requiring a building permit. The new application simplifies online submittals for customers by reducing the total number of forms to upload and features timesavers such as electronic signatures. As part of this initiative, the Building & Safety Division will be phasing out the Master Application by October 31st.
New informational guides that contain helpful resources such as application instructions, process overviews, and estimated review timelines are now posted online. Highlights to our new application and informational resources include:
- Building Permit (BLD) Application Guide – an informational guide to help applicants prior to application submittal. This guide answers frequently asked questions about the building permit application process from initial submittal to final inspection.
- Project Plan Submittal Guide – a comprehensive list of project plan submittal requirements for both Planning and Building Permit applications.
- Basic Site Plan – a one-page plan submittal guide for minor projects
- Revisions Submittal Packet – a new submittal packet for revisions to approved plans. Includes the plan requirements, frequently asked questions, and a sample plan sheet for reference
- Building & Safety Forms – our frequently used forms have a fresh look, and may now be filled out electronically making it easier to submit
NEW INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO: For information about our new building permit application procedures, please watch this brief instructional video found on our Building & Safety handouts webpage. Before starting a building permit application, we strongly encourage you to watch the video and read the guide.
If you have any questions about our new application procedures, please contact us at the Building & Safety Counter at (805) 564-5485 or CDBuildingCode@SantaBarbaraCA.gov.