The Creeks Division's Arroyo Burro Restoration Project at Hidden Valley Park was completed in late 2018.
The 2.8 acre project site was previously in a degraded state, with hundreds of feet of pipe and wire revetment in the creek and on the creek banks, and extensive areas of invasive non-native species.
Key components of the restoration project included:
- Removal of 450 linear feet of pipe and wire revetment
- Bio-technical bank stabilization where pipe and wire revetment was removed
- Removal of non-native vegetation over a 2.8 acre area, including cape ivy, English ivy, periwinkle, ice plant
- Removal of 18 non-native large trees: 14 shamel ash and 4 blue gum (Eucalyptus)
- Restoration of a diverse community of native riparian and upland plants
- Protection and avoidance of existing natural resources
- Replacement of playground park fence further from creek bank
For more information on this project, please contact Tim Burgess at (805) 897-1912 or TBurgess@SantaBarbaraCA.gov.