As of July 1, 2019, Santa Barbara Public Library is fine free (news post).
Preguntas sobre la nueva Política Libre de Multas.
All charges below applicable as of 7/1/2021.
Microprint and Photocopy Charges
- Black and white copies and printouts: $0.15
- Color copies: $0.25
Unreturned or Lost Material Charges
- Juvenile books: $30.00
- Adult fiction: $30.00
- Adult nonfiction: $30.00
- Reference: $60.00
- Periodicals: $8.00
- Music CDs: $20.00
- Books on CD: $50.00
- Blu-Ray: $20.00
- DVDs: $20.00
- Laptop computers: $850.00
- Laptop accessories: $50.00
- Wireless hotspots: $150.00
- Chromebooks: $350.00
- Library of Things STEAM and Maker Kits - Tier 4: $300.00
- Library of Things STEAM and Maker Kits - Tier 3: $250.00
- Library of Things STEAM and Maker Kits - Tier 2: $200.00
- Library of Things STEAM and Maker Kits - Tier 1: $100.00
At 30 days overdue, an item will be considered lost and the full replacement cost as set forth above will be charged to the account.
When a patron account has accrued $40 and the amount remains unpaid after 30 days, a materials recovery agency referral will take place and a $10.00 processing fee will be charged to the library account.
At 60 days overdue, lost item charges will be considered permanent even if the material is returned to the library.
Damaged Materials: a charge may be imposed for library owned materials commensurate with the damages as determined by the Library Director or the Director’s designee. If replacement of the damaged item is required, lost materials fees will apply.
Other Services and Charges
- Library card replacement: $2.00 for each replacement of lost, stolen or damaged library card.
- Interlibrary loan materials borrowed from other institutions: $15.00 per item requested through interlibrary borrowing from outside the Black Gold Cooperative Library System, plus any charges imposed from the lending institution. Fees for overdue, damaged, or lost material will be as charged by the lending institution.
- Interlibrary loan materials sent to other institutions: $15.00 for any materials or photocopies of Santa Barbara Public Library System items requested by other institutions outside the Black Gold Cooperative System.
- Obituaries: $25.00 for researching obituaries.
- General research: $50.00 for 30 minutes of research for requests received by mail/e-mail.
- Headphones: $3.00.
- USB flash drives: $8.00.
Extended Use Fees
The following schedule of fees shall apply to all books and other materials which are not returned on or before the due date.
- Daily rate: $1.00
- Maximum: $16.00
Interlibrary Loan Materials
- Daily rate: $2.00
- Maximum: $24.00 or charges billed by lending institution, whichever is greater.
- Daily rate: $2.00
- Maximum: 15 minutes with no maximum
Extended use fees begin accumulating on the day following the due date (except for laptop computers) and accrue for each succeeding day including weekends and holidays.
Patrons accumulating charges of $10.00 or more may have library privileges suspended until such time as full payment is received.
Waivers: the extended use fees provided herein may be waived by the Library Director or designee if it is determined that the patron's failure to return the library materials is due to exceptional circumstances.
To Pay Charges or Fees Anytime
- Log in to your account
- Click on the Fines and Fees tab
- Follow the prompts