All Library branches offer a place to study, books for reading assignments and report information, and computers that students can use to print pictures and type reports.
Library Research Resources
- Britannica KIDS – An online encyclopedia for students in grades 4-9. (For in-library use click here)
- Britannica Escolar - Descubra los artículos enciclopédicos, los recursos multimedia y otros materiales de aprendizaje que apoyan la investigación de los estudiantes y refuerzan la programación curricular. El acceso es provisto por la Biblioteca del Estado de California.
- Britannica School Edition - Encyclopedia articles, multimedia, primary sources, education games and other learning resources that support student research. Access is provided by the California State Library.
- Toucan Valley Social Studies Fact Cards – Reference information for reports on California Indians, California Explorers, California Missions & Mission Life, California Ranchos, California Governors, and California History by Decade (pre-1770 to present)
- Teaching Books.net - A comprehensive resource of youth book lists and guides to award-winning and diverse literature, literature lesson plans, literature-based vocabulary lists, meet-the-author videos and book readings, readers' theatre scripts, and video book trailers. Access is provided by the California State Library K-12 student readiness initiative.
- Click here for more in-depth research tools by subject
Central Library Homework and Reading Help
- Drop in for help with reading, math, social studies and more for K-6th graders
- Mondays 3:30pm - 6:30pm; Wednesdays 2:30pm – 6:30pm
- Want to try a computer program that teaches phonics and reading skills? Call 805-564-5619 to find out how to get a free Lexia login if you don't have a school one.
Eastside Library Homework Help
- After school Art Project with the Santa Barbara Museum of Art runs Mondays and Wednesday 3:30pm - 5:30pm. Enrollment is on a first come first serve basis. For more information contact: Tina Villadolid, Coordinator of Community Art Programs, Museum of Art at 805-698-2686.
Reading with Dogs in the Library
Practice reading skills with a furry friend! A great way for reluctant readers to practice reading aloud to the kindest, least judgmental listeners around.
Buellton Library Tail Waggin' Tutors - Every other Wednesday 3:30-4:30 pm. Drop in for a 15-minute session of reading aloud or storytelling to a friendly, trained therapy dog. First come, first served. Signups begin 30 minutes ahead of time.
Eastside Library ARF tutors - 6-week sessions through the year. Check the calendar for dates. Drop in for a 15-minute session of reading aloud or storytelling to a friendly, trained therapy dog. First come, first served. Signups begin 30 minutes ahead of time.
Solvang Library Tail Waggin' Tutors - Thursdays 3:30-4:30 pm. School-aged children may sign up for 15-minute sessions, first come, first served. Sign-ups are allowed 30 minutes before the program.