Children start their learning journey at the Library. Visit all Library branches to find board books, music to check out, and a welcoming space for your baby or toddler to play and learn.
Storytimes help parents foster a lifelong love of books and reading in their children. Storytime is not only fun for children, but also informative and engaging for the parents who attend with them. Different storytimes focus on different age groups, but every storytime helps children and parents bond by participating in healthy, enriching activities together. Joining storytime is a fun way to introduce your children to the Library and to teach Early Literacy Skills.
Check our Event Calendar for special performances and/or cancellations.
- Preschool: Helps pre-readers improve their literacy skills needed for their upcoming kindergarten year. This storytime features longer books accompanied by a variety of activities, including interactive songs and rhymes. Each thirty minute session ends with a craft or sensory activity. This class is designed for preschoolers ages 3 - 5 years.
- Bilingual storytime: Join us for stories and songs in Spanish and English. Best for toddlers and preschoolers. This class is designed for participants of all ages. Hora de cuentos bilingüe: Ven a divertirte con canciones y cuentos en español e inglés. Para participantes de todas las edades.
- Hora de cuentos en Español: Cuentos y canciones para toda la familia.
- Wiggly: engages children and their caregivers with short stories, action rhymes, and songs. Your toddler will be learning sounds, letter recognition, new words, listening skills, and motor skills that will help them grow into pre-readers, all while having fun. This class is designed for toddlers ages 14 months - 3 years.
- Baby and Me: focuses on developing your baby’s pre-literacy skills. In this thirty minute program, our storyteller will lead the group in songs, rhymes, group reading, and sensory play time to develop language skills, social skills, motor skills, and community building. This class is designed for babies 0 - 14 months and their caregivers.
- Music and Movement: all-singing, all-dancing morning of stories and fun! In this class, children and their caregivers learn how to develop early literacy skills through music, dancing, and creative play. These sessions are designed for children ages 2 - 5, but children of all ages are welcome. Central offers classes for babies and older children simultaneously in the Island Room and Faulkner gallery.
- Sensory: provides a welcoming, inclusive environment for all children to learn and grow. Small groups, structure, and sensory activities create an environment for sensory seekers and the sensory sensitive. Designed for ages 3 - 7, but children of all ages and abilities are welcome. Registration required.
- STEAM and Early Literacy Stations: These drop-in classes offer activities for preschoolers to learn developmentally appropriate science, technology, engineering, art, and math concepts as well as early literacy skills.
If you are planning to bring a group, please contact the library ahead of time to confirm there is enough space.
Music Together at Solvang Library:
Diane Byinton of the Solvang Conservatory shares songs, instrument play, rhythm chants and movement in a relaxed, playful setting. Caregiver participation required. Pre-registration guarantees a spot. Call 805-688-4214 or email solvanglibrary@SantaBarbaraCA.gov to register. Check the calendar for class dates.