The Marines eventually constructed 103 buildings and installed about 5.5 million square feet of pavement on the site which included the present day Airport and much of the land that is now the University of California at Santa Barbara.
Soon after development began, Marine fighter and bomber pilots started advanced training in preparation for combat in the Pacific. Pilots were assigned to squadrons where they trained primarily in Corsair fighters, or Dauntless and Avenger bombers. By 1944, over 400 Women Reserves were assigned to the Station performing administrative, communications, maintenance, vehicle driving, and pilot ground training.
By 1946 the War had ended and the Marines handed the Airport, additional land, and the improvements back to the City of Santa Barbara for use as a municipal airport. Later Santa Barbara City Council honored local WWII aviators by naming Airport streets after many of those who lost their lives in the service to their country.