City Services Available Online
To protect the safety and wellbeing of the community and our employees, the City of Santa Barbara is taking steps to continue providing services to the public. City offices continue to operate but public counters are closed to limit interaction and ensure social distancing.
Many City services and instructions are available online, allowing you to pay a bill, find phone numbers to contact staff, or submit requests, forms, applications, questions, and comments via email. Before making a trip, please check the City’s website and review the list of services below.
- Business Operation Inquiries: For businesses who wish
to learn more about whether or how to operate their business in accordance with
COVID-19 guidelines, please send an email to LandUse@SantaBarbaraCa.Gov.
- Public Counter Instructions: Essential City services, construction, and maintenance work continues and staff are ready to handle requests, review plans and applications, and process payments. The following special instructions and adjustments are currently in effect:
- Airport Administration and Operations: Santa Barbara Airport (SBA) remains open and operating 24/7. For Administrative/Operational matters, please call for an appointment at 805-967-7111.
- Finance: Utility bills and Parking Citations can be paid online, over the phone, by mail or drop box located on the De la Guerra Plaza side of City Hall. All other bills, including Business License, Business Improvement District (BID), Parking and Business Improvement Area (PBIA), Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT), and Cannabis Tax can be paid by mail or drop box located on the De la Guerra Plaza side of City Hall. Enclose the billing or application with payment.
- Building and Safety, Planning, Public Works, and Records Counter at 630 Garden Street: All counters now operate under a check-in system where you can sign up for an appointment (virtual or in-person). Consultation by telephone and email are available as well, during regular business hours. In addition, staff are now processing all plans and permits online via the Accela Citizen Access portal. For up-to-date information, please go to the Public Counter Notices Webpage. If you have questions, call or email:
- Rental Housing Mediation: Staff can provide consultations and mediations in English or Spanish by phone at 805-564-5420. Tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities can be provided by phone and email. Read more…
- Affordable Housing and CDBG/Human Services Call 805-564-5461 or email HHS@SantaBarbaraCA.gov
- Library: Library buildings are open for all in person services and are continuing to require those who enter to wear facemasks, due to the high number of children under 12 years of age who visit the library. Effective July 7th, 2021 the Library will be open regular hours with no time restrictions.
- Borrow books, audiobooks, movies, comics, films, magazines, and online courses electronically at SBPLibrary.org/eLibrary
- Sign-up for a digital library card online to get started using library resources and services at: SBPLibrary.org/LibraryCard
- Chat with staff at the Library’s digital chat reference services, available during open hours and answered in real-time: SBPLibrary.org/LibraryChat
- Text message questions to staff, available during open hours and answered in real-time: 805-764-4542 (805-764-4LIB)
- Stay up to date on events and classes by visiting the Library's calendar.
- If you have questions about a particular event or about checked out items, please call the Santa Barbara Public Library at 805-962-7653.
- Police: The Police Department public lobby at 215 E. Figueroa Street is currently open for limited service and limited hours. Public safety professionals are providing 24/7 service throughout the City. While the lobby might be closed in an abundance of caution, our professional staff is working for you. For real emergencies, dial 911. To file a police report or request a copy, use the Citizens Online Reporting Tool. To arrange for Property Release, call 805-897-2375 to make an appointment. For all other requests, please call 805-897-2355.
- Fire: Email sbfdsbca@SantaBarbaraCA.gov or call 805-965-5254 for all questions related to fire prevention, wildland fire prevention, and plan submittals.
- City Clerk: City Council and Advisory Group agendas are available online and outside City Hall. Meeting videos and minutes are also available on the City’s website. For questions related to the Council agenda or public records requests, email email@example.com.
- Human Resources: The Human Resources counter is open, however, appointments are encouraged and should be scheduled as needed. To set up an appointment or contact us with any questions, call 805-564-5316 or email HR@santabarbaraca.gov. You can also access information on job opportunities, salary and benefit information, and MOUs by visiting our website at www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/adminsvs/hr/default.asp
- Parks and Recreation: Many Parks and Recreation locations are open now or will reopen June 21 (June 28 for the Cabrillo Pavilion). Parks and Recreation resources can be found online at SantaBarbaraCA.gov/ParksAndRec, and questions may be directed to ParksAndRec@SantaBarbaraCA.gov. Sign up for camps and other activities, book a picnic site, reserve a venue for a private event, or get started on planning a community special event. View the lap swim schedule at Los Baños del Mar Pool (advance sign-ups no longer needed) or reserve a court for tennis or pickleball at the Municipal Tennis Center. Contact the Water Quality Enforcement Program Enforcement Hotline to report violations of the City’s Municipal Code to protect local creeks and the ocean from pollution. Services are available to request a Street Tree Removal. To find out more about available Parks and Recreation Department services, activities, and location opening hours, please read Your Summer with SB Parks and Rec.
- Downtown Parking: Monthly and Commuter Permit account payments, as well as other transactions requiring payment, may be mailed to 1221 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101. Please include your account number or license plate number with your payment. All other submittals and inquiries can be directed to ParkingPermits@SantaBarbaraCA.gov or (805) 564-5656, Option 3Permit applications can be found online by visiting www.santabarbaraca.gov/parking.The Downtown Parking public counter hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm, and closed alternating Fridays. The permit counter is temporarily open by appointment only.
- Waterfront/Harbor: Waterfront Office is located at 132A Harbor Way, Santa Barbara, CA and is open to the public Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM and Sat-Sun 8:30AM – 5PM. Want to save a trip? The majority of Waterfront related services can also be completed by: