During late summer 2011, permeable pavers were installed in the MacKenzie Park parking lot at State Street and Las Positas Road. The project includes the following design elements:
- Permeable pavers installed in the area of the parking stalls.
- Pavers outlined with a six inch wide concrete ribbon border at grade.
- Pavers were installed to replace a portion of the decomposed granite path from the parking lot leading to the MacKenzie Adult Building.
- Additional car and motorcycle spaces were added to the northern end of the parking lot.
- Two low, gently sloping speed bumps were installed in the driving lanes in order to strategically direct storm water to the pavers for maximum treatment benefit.
- Two planters were constructed in the middle of each of the two main parking rows and two trees were added to these planters.
- A tree was planted in the existing vacant planter in the northwest corner of the lot.
- All existing trees in the park remained.
- The design added six parking spaces to the lower parking lot for a new total of 75 spaces.