Shut off utilities if necessary.
- Know when and how to shut off utilities.
- Locate the main electrical shut off, water services box ,and natural gas line before a disaster strikes.
- Turn off utilities only if you suspect the lines are damaged or if you are instructed to do so.
- Teach all responsible family members when and how to shut off the utilities.
- Keep necessary tools near gas and water shut-off valves.
- If the natural gas line is turned off, you will need a professional to turn the gas back on.