Close Panel
Click for weather info74°F


Traffic Accident

If you are involved in an accident, you should do the following:

  1. Check for injuries
  2. Assess extent of damage.
  3. Determine location of accident (direction of travel, if on freeway).
  4. If possible, move vehicles to safe location.
  5. Exchange driver's license, vehicle and insurance information.
  6. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses.

One of the persons involved in the accident should call the police at 882-8900 or 911 (if there are injuries) to report the accident. Be prepared to answer the following questions:

  1. Is anyone hurt?
  2. Are vehicles drivable?
  3. Does one of the drivers appear to be intoxicated?
  4. Do both drivers have a valid driver's license?
  5. Is a driver unable or unwilling to show proof of financial responsibility?
  6. Is a city, state or federal vehicle involved?
  7. Is city, state or federal property involved in the accident?
  8. Is hazardous material involved?

Often, it is not necessary to wait for a police officer. The police dispatcher will be able to tell you if an officer must be sent to the accident scene. You may be able to file an accident report at the police station, 215 E. Figueroa Street.

Drivers should be sure to exchange the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Address
  3. Home and work phone numbers
  4. Driver's license information
  5. License number of vehicle
  6. Make, year and model of vehicle
  7. Insurance information

If a driver or pedestrian is hurt and unable to exchange information, the police officer will get the necessary information from that person and make it available to you.

Notify DMV: Vehicle Code Section 16000

The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in damage to the property of any ONE party in excess of five hundred dollars ($500) or in the injury or death of any person MUST submit a SR-1 Form to the California Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days.

Note: Failure To Comply May Result In Suspension Of Your Driver's License.

Form SR-1 may be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles, the California Highway Patrol, any police station, motor vehicle club, or insurance agent.

If city or state property is damaged, you will be contacted regarding possible liability.